Thank you for your interest in the Club Ratings tool from PickleballRatings.com (a division of Grantstone Ventures). Let us explain a bit about what this tool is and how it works.
What exactly are "club ratings"?
"Club ratings" are essentially for any ‘closed’ group, which can be anything from a small private group to a league to a national association. “Club ratings” do not include match results from “open” or public tournaments. “Tournament ratings” will be maintained separately on pickleballratings.com, and eventually “Global Ratings” will be a mathematically configured rendering some combination of a player’s club AND tournament ratings. All ratings, however, are processed using Deep GreenTM, our proprietary ratings engine software derived primarily from the widely acknowledged benchmark Elo algorithm. "Club ratings" are based on the commonly used rating scale, but use four digits instead of two. For example, a player may earn a rating of 4.163 rather than just be assigned a 4.0 rating.
What is the value of the "club rating" system?
1) Allows private groups to create and manage events (ladders, shoot-outs, round-robins, etc.) based strictly on the merit of performance by players and teams having played exclusively against others in the club.
2) Creates the opportunity for players to track their progress based strictly on performance and achievement vs. subjective human evaluation.
3) A player's "club rating" could be used as their "initial rating" in our “tournament rating” system when he or she enters a tournament outside of their club for the first time. (In this case, his or her "club rating" would be translated to the "tournament rating" scale to render their initial tournament rating. Note: This is the only time a player's "club rating" may have any impact on his or her "tournament rating").
Will players have multiple ratings (singles, doubles, mixed)?
No, players will have a single rating within the club ratings system which will be informed by all submitted head-to-head match results.
Can you use historical data from our club?
Yes! Just follow the instructions to get started.
How far back, historically speaking, is our data valid for the purpose of processing club player ratings?
What is the cost?
We are currently in an exploratory phase. Once this is complete, we will have a better idea of a pricing model for the clubs to put Deep GreenTM to use. There will be a menu of options that speak to the various needs of different clubs.
Should we include "guest" players?
If a club is using this tool and has “guest” players, there are two options:
- Don't include match results with guest(s);
- Treat the guests as club members, and include them in the player roster
(We recommend including the match results in which guests have played. This not only keeps the ratings system as true as possible, but it allows the club to pitch the value of joining the club to potential members who will not be granted visibility to their club rating otherwise).
Have questions? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.